MAK STRATEGIC PLAN
OUTLINE OF STRATEGIC GOALS OBJECTIVES AND PROPOSED ACTIONS
We outline herebelow the key pillars of our strategy.
Every woman and every newborn to have quality midwifery care.
• To advocate for midwifery as an autonomous profession
• To strengthen the midwifery profession for quality care
• To promote midwifery as the standard of care for childbearing families.
MAK MAIN FUNCTIONS
1. To promote excellence, innovation and leadership in the care of childbearing women, the newborn and their families ;
2. To strive for the recognition, visibility and value of midwives as a critical member of a healthcare team ;
3. To advocate for policies, global standards, guidelines, competencies and tools for the midwifery profession in Kenya;
4. To provide continuous professional development for midwives in Kenya;
5. To create a network and cohersion of midwives in the country.
STRATEGIC GOAL #1
To represent midwives
Objective I - To become an autonomous profession
- To engage the Nursing Council to review the Nurses Act, to rename it to Nurses and Midwives Act
- To initiate and participate in the review of educational policies to include on the curricula the required competencies for the midwifery profession
- To develop standards of educational requirements for qualification of midwives
To lobby to have a nurses and midwifery department under the MoH.
OBJECTIVE II - To influence policies
- To introduce and present MAK to MoH
- To assess of “who is who” and “who does what” in MoH
- To introduce MAK in the different Counties (gov bodies)
To promote the modification of the name “community health nurses” to “nurse midwife”.
OBJECTIVE III - To support the development of guidelines
- To assess international guidelines and define which ones are to be adapted locally
- To promote meetings to discuss adaptability of those guidelines
To be involved and participate in meetings for development of guidelines.
STRATEGIC GOAL #2
To support high quality midwifery practice
Objective I - To promote the highest standards of midwifery education and research
- Assessment of the current offer to midwifery education (cost/ diploma/curricula)
- To introduce MAK to the different training institutions
- To be involved on the development of the curricula of midwifery education
- To provide avenue for research findings
- To provide trainings on how to conduct research
- To ensure that minimal standards are applyed on training
- To evaluate and monitor training institutions
- To provide position statements
- To develop a newsletter for members.
OBJECTIVE II - To build capacity for midwives
- To provide continuous development courses
- To provide online and e-learning courses
- To give certification to members
- To promote and provide soft skills development courses
Assessment on what courses already exist and which can be used.
OBJECTIVE III - To share, recognize and reward best practices
- Develop a Newsletter for midwives/midwifery
- To promote research
- To facilitate publishing opportunities
- Awards and Recognition
- To recognize of institutions
- To facilitate volunteer oportunities
- To promote exchange programs, national and international
- To promote and leverage the “Midwifery Week” activities.
STRATEGIC GOAL #3
To connect midwives
Objective I - To create opportunities for networking
- To organize the Annual Conference
- To facilitate volunteer opportunities
- To promote and deliver mentorship programs
- To create discussion groups
- To create student groups
- To create and promote forum and blogs
To organize other events.
OBJECTIVE II - To strengthen affiliations
- To introduce MAK to affiliates
- To regularly update membership
- To promote regular meetings to leverage the affilation
- To develop a Memorandum of Understanding.
OBJECTIVE III - To promote collaborations, national and internationally
- To assess present and prospective partnerships
- To formalize partnerships (MOU)
To promote exchange programs, national and international.